Defuse and DiffuseThe words defuse and diffuse sound similar, but their meanings are very different.
DefuseThe verb to defuse refers to the act of deactivating a bomb. (Defuse literally means to remove the fuse.) It is often used figuratively to mean to disarm or to pacify.
- How long did it take you to defuse the bomb? (Here, defuse is being used literally.)
- Paul, go back in the meeting and defuse all the arguing. (Here, defuse is being used figuratively.)
DiffuseThe adjective diffuse means spread out or not concentrated in one place. Diffuse can also be a verb meaning to circulate or to spread.
- She is the CEO of a large diffuse company. (Here, diffuse is an adjective meaning spread out.)
- I need speakers that will diffuse my music around the whole arena. (Here, diffuse is a verb meaning to spread.)
A Quick Test
- This test has questions.
- You will score at least 5 points for a correct answer.
- You will score bonus points for answering the questions quickly.
- Be careful though. Wrong answers score 0 points.
- The maximum score is .