MucousThe adjective mucous means covering or secreting mucus. It is usually seen modifying the nouns gland or membrane. For example:
- Mucous glands are found in several different parts of the body.
- Sodium is excreted by all mucous surfaces and by the liver and kidneys.
MucusThe noun mucus denotes a slimy substance that is produced by the mucous membranes and glands. For example:
- Mucus production in humans thickens in cold weather.
- Nasal mucus is usually clear and thin so it can filter air during inhalation.
A Quick Test
- This test has questions.
- You will score at least 5 points for a correct answer.
- You will score bonus points for answering the questions quickly.
- Be careful though. Wrong answers score 0 points.
- The maximum score is .