What Is the Difference between Off and Of?Writers are sometimes confused by the words of and off. As this confusion rarely occurs in speech, it can often be rectified simply by remembering how the words are pronounced.
- Off is pronounced OFF
- Of is pronounced OV
Using OfHere are the most common uses of the word of. The word of is used:
- To show possession
- The hand of God
- A part of me
- To state what something is made of
- A splinter of wood
- A heart of gold
- To show what something contains
- A cup of coffee
- A plate of figs
- To show a point of reckoning
- North of the wall
- West of New York
Using OffThe word off is the opposite of the word on. For example:
- Turn it on. Turn it off.
- Put it on the table. Take it off the table.
When the accompanying word introduces a prepositional phrase, it is classified as a preposition. When it does not, it is a particle. For example (phrasal verbs shaded):
- Wipe that paint off the wall. (In this example, the prepositional phrase is off the wall. The word off is a preposition.)
- Stop showing off. (Here, off is a particle.)
Don't Write Get Off OfWith verbs like to get off, to live off, and to go off, there is no need to add of. With these verbs (called phrasal verbs), the off acts as a preposition. There is no need to add your own preposition (i.e., don't write off of). For example:
- Get off the table.
- Get off of the table.
- She lived off the land.
- She lived off of the land.
- She is going off you.
- She is going off of you.
A Quick Test
- This test has questions.
- You will score at least 5 points for a correct answer.
- You will score bonus points for answering the questions quickly.
- Be careful though. Wrong answers score 0 points.
- The maximum score is .
How Many Fs Are There?How many times does the letter F appear in the bold text below?
FINISHED FILES ARE THE RESULT OF YEARS OF SCIENTIFIC STUDY COMBINED WITH THE EXPERIENCE OF YEARS.