Pendant and PendentOccasionally, there is confusion over the words pendant and pendent.
PendantThe word pendant is usually a noun which means a piece of jewelry that hangs from a chain worn around the neck. For example:
- Custom has it that wearing the Buddha pendant below the chest is a sign of disrespect.
- Cherie Blair wore a pendant to ward off evil spirits.
- She wore a diamond pendant necklace.
Princess Kate Middleton's diamond pendant.
PendentThe word pendent is an adjective which means dangling, hanging, or suspended. For example:
- Water Avens is an attractive perennial plant with pretty pendent flowers of purple, pink, and orange.
A pendent light
Snowdrops are pendent flowers.
A Quick Test
- This test has questions.
- You will score at least 5 points for a correct answer.
- You will score bonus points for answering the questions quickly.
- Be careful though. Wrong answers score 0 points.
- The maximum score is .