Learn 1000s of English words with our vocabulary builder.
Definition of Adjective (with Examples)Adjectives are describing words. They are used either before or after a noun (or a pronoun) to modify its meaning.
- a large bass
- The moon is bright tonight.
In addition to descriptive words (e.g., pretty, blue, classic, tired), there are several other kinds of adjectives, including:
- Articles (e.g., an, a, the)
- Compound adjectives(e.g., four-seater, 10-page)
- Comparatives (e.g., stickier, taller, less cultivated)
- Demonstrative adjectives (e.g., that, these)
- Indefinite adjectives (e.g., some, few)
- Possessive adjectives (e.g., my, her, its, their)
A Quick Test
- This test has questions.
- You will score at least 5 points for a correct answer.
- You will score bonus points for answering the questions quickly.
- Be careful though. Wrong answers score 0 points.
- The maximum score is .
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?