Learn 1000s of English words with our vocabulary builder.
Definition of Compound Adjective (with Examples)A compound adjective is a single adjective comprising more than one word. The words in a compound adjective are usually grouped together using hyphens to show it is a single adjective.
Examples of Compound AdjectivesHere are some example of compound adjectives (shaded):
- four-foot table
- 12-page magazine
- free-range eggs
- never-to-be-forgotten experience
- well-known lawyer
Alternatives to Hyphens in Compound AdjectivesCompound adjectives can also be grouped using italics, quotation marks, and title case (i.e., capital letters). For example:
- It's a bona fide purchaser. (compound adjective grouped using italics)
- Is that your "go away" look? (compound adjective grouped using quotation marks)
- Did you watch the Harry Potter documentary? (compound adjective grouped using title case)
A Quick Test
- This test has questions.
- You will score at least 5 points for a correct answer.
- You will score bonus points for answering the questions quickly.
- Be careful though. Wrong answers score 0 points.
- The maximum score is .
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?