Learn 1000s of English words with our vocabulary builder.
What Are Concrete Nouns? (with Examples)A concrete noun represents something that can be seen, touched, tasted, heard, or smelled. In other words, a concrete noun is something that you can perceive with at least one of your five senses.
Concrete nouns contrast with abstract nouns, which name things you cannot see, hear, touch, smell, or taste. For example, can perceive wood and chocolate with your senses, so these are examples of concrete nouns. However, you cannot perceivemotherhood or bravery, so these are examples of abstract nouns.
Examples of Concrete NounsHere is a list of some concrete nouns:
- abbey, abdomen, agent, air, alcove, alligator, almonds, ankle, antelope, antlers, ants, ape, apse, architect, arm, armadillo, armchair, arrow, ashram, attendant, auditorium, aunt, baboon, bagpipes, banjo, bank, barn, barracks, basement, bassoon, bat, bathrobe, beach, beads, beak, bear, beard, bed, belfry, belly, bench, beret, bill, blackberries, blood, bloom, blossom, blueberries, boar, bog, bones, bookcase, bow, bower, boy, bracelet, brain, branch, brass, breast, briefs, brook, broom, brother, brushes, bucket, bud, buffet, bug, bungalow, bus, cabbage, cabin, cakes, camel, canal, canoe, cans, canvas, cap, carport, cart, cashier, casino, casserole, castle, cathedral, cauliflower, caves, cello, cemetery, cereal, chair, chalet, channel, chapel, chateau, cheetah, chest, child, chimpanzee, chipmunk, churches, city, clarinet, cloister, coast, cockroach, coffee, colon, cookies, cornet, cot, cottage, couch, country, crackers, cradle, creek, crib, crocodile, crotch, cub, cymbals, dagger, dart, daughter, deckchair, deer, designer, detective, diner, dinghy, dinosaur, dock, doe, dogs, dolls, dolphin, donkey, drake, dress, drum, duck, dynamos, eagle, earrings, earth, earthworm, easel, eclipse, elbow, elephant, elevator, elk, elm, emu, eye, eyeball, eyebrows, eyeglasses, farm, father, fawn, filly, fingernail, fire, fireplace, fish, flute, fondue, forearm, forest, fortress, frigate, fruit, fur, gallbladder, galleon, gander, garden, garlic, gazebo, gem, gerbil, ghost, giraffe, girl, glands, glockenspiel, gloves, goose, grains, grandfather, grandmother, grapefruit, grass, greenhouse, grouper, guitar, gums, hacienda, hail, hamburger, hammock, hand, harp, hatchet, head, hearth, heaven, hedge, hedgehog, hell, herbs, hip, hippodrome, horn, hornets, horse, host, hostess, hotdog, hotel, hovel, hurricane, hut, hutch, hydrofoil, hyena, igloo, inn, intestines, jackal, jaguar, jailhouse, jewel, joey, judge, kangaroo, kidneys, kingfish, kiosk, knee, knickers, knight, knuckles, koala, lake, lap, lark, lawn, lawyer, leeks, leg, legumes, lemons, lettuce, lion, lips, lobster, locker, locket, loft, lungs, lute, maiden, mall, man, manor, mansion, mantel, mare, marsh, mayor, mirror, model, monastery, monkey, monsoon, mop, motel, moth, moth, mother, mouth, mule, muscles, museum, musician, mutt, nightingale, nurse, nuts, oak, oars, oasis, oboe, ocean, onions, onions, orange, orangutan, orchard, orchestra, outhouse, owl, paddock, pagoda, painter, palm, pancake, panda, panties, pants, parachute, park, pasta, paws, peach, peacock, pelt, pendant, peppers, petal, philosopher, photographer, physician, piano, piccolo, pier, pig, pinworms, pipe, poison, pony, popcorn, porcupine, port, porthole, pouch, prince, princess, professor, psychologist, publisher, pudding, puddle, puma, pupil, pyramid, quill, rags, rain, ranch, raspberries, rat, ravioli, restaurant, retina, rhinoceros, river, roads, sails, saloon, sandwich, saxophone, school, schoolteacher, sea, seal, settler, shack, shark, shin, shirt, shoelaces, shoes, shore, shrimp, sibling, sideburns, silo, singer, sister, skull, skunk, sky, skyscraper, sleet, sloth, smog, snakes, snow, solitaire, son, spider, spine, spotlight, squirrel, stables, stadium, stag, stage, stars, steaks, stew, stole, stool, storm, strawberries, stream, streets, studs, submarine, suburb, subway, suit, suitcase, sun, sunglasses, sunlamp, supermarket, sushi, swamp, sword, tabernacle, tail, tambourine, tangerine, tavern, tea, teeth, telephone, temples, therapist, thigh, throat, thumb, thunderbolt, tiara, tiger, toad, toad, toes, tomato, tongue, torso, tower, town, tram, tripod, trolley, trousers, tuba, tunnels, turkey, turtle, typhoon, ukulele, uncle, underwear, urn, usher, van, venom, villa, village, vineyard, viola, violin, vulture, wafer, waffles, waist, waiter, wallaby, wallet, walnuts, wasps, watch, waterfall, weasel, whale, wings, wolf, woman, wombat, woodwinds, worm, wrap, wren, wrist, xylophone, xylophone, yacht, yard, yurt, zebra, zoo
A Quick Test
- This test has questions.
- You will score at least 5 points for a correct answer.
- You will score bonus points for answering the questions quickly.
- Be careful though. Wrong answers score 0 points.
- The maximum score is .
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?