Learn 1000s of English words with our vocabulary builder.
What Is a Euphemism? (with Examples)A euphemism is the use of agreeable or inoffensive words to replace rude or offensive ones.
A euphemism is a figure of speech and an example of figurative language.
Examples of EuphemismsHere are some examples of common euphemisms:
- He has passed away. (Euphemism for He has died.)
- He is between jobs. (Euphemism for He is unemployed.)
- He has resigned his commission. (Euphemism for He has been sacked.)
- He is a little thin on top. (Euphemism for He is losing his hair.)
More Examples of Common EuphemismsHere are some more commonly used euphemisms:
|a few sandwiches short of a picnic||mad|
|didnít make it||has died|
|kicked the bucket||has died|
|knocked up||is pregnant|
|letting you go||you're fired|
|lost his marbles||mad|
|over the hill||too old to function effectively|
|visually challenged||visually impaired|
A Quick Test
- This test has questions.
- You will score at least 5 points for a correct answer.
- You will score bonus points for answering the questions quickly.
- Be careful though. Wrong answers score 0 points.
- The maximum score is .
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?