Learn 1000s of English words with our vocabulary builder.
What Is Figurative Language (with Examples)Figurative language is the use of words in an unusual or imaginative manner. Often figurative language involves the use of a metaphor, a simile, personification, hyperbole, idiom, a euphemism, and pun. However, as the term figurative language also covers unusual or imaginative word constructions (and not just word meanings), it also includes alliteration, assonance, consonance, onomatopoeia, and logosglyphs.
Examples of Figurative LanguageWhen most people think of figurative language, similes and metaphors spring to mind. However, the term figurative language covers a wide range of literary techniques. Here are some examples of figurative language in each of the categories:
- It is a house of cards.
- Her eyes were darting torches.
- Time is money.
- An icy stare
- She is as cute as a kitten.
- This cake is as dry as a bone.
- He swims like a torpedo.
- Ghost-like eyes
- The leaves danced in the wind.
- My computer throws a tantrum at least once a day.
- Autumn's icy touch
- Creeping time
- I could eat a scabby horse.
- They've got truckloads of money.
- I nearly died of embarrassment.
- It's a million times better.
- I'll be pushing up the daisies.
- It's a piece of cake.
- Do not let the cat out of the bag.
- You've hit the nail on the head.
- didnít make it = has died
- between jobs = unemployed
- exotic dancer = stripper
PunA pun is a witticism that plays on the different meanings of a word or two words which sound alike but have different meanings. For example:
- It's hard to beat a boiled egg.
- I'm an honest cheetah.
- Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
- Those purple pigs are preposterous.
- She sells seashells down by the seashore.
- Smile. Speak. Serve.
- Hear, not fear, the wisdom of wizards.
- We received three emails.
- Cats bat at yarn balls.
- She swung her fist in angst against the beast.
- The big dog dug a hole.
- Think tank
- The rocket whooshed in the sky.
- Are they sausages I can hear sizzling?
- The dish clattered against the floor tiles.
A Quick Test
- This test has questions.
- You will score at least 5 points for a correct answer.
- You will score bonus points for answering the questions quickly.
- Be careful though. Wrong answers score 0 points.
- The maximum score is .
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?