Learn 1000s of English words with our vocabulary builder.
Future Tense (with Examples)The future tense expresses a future event or a future state of being. For example:
- I will jump in the lake. (future event)
- I will be happy. (future state of being)
Examples of the Types of Future TenseThe future tense is categorized further depending on whether the action will be in progress or will be completed. The four future tenses are:
|The 4 Future Tenses||Examples||Uses|
|simple future tense||
||The simple future tense is used for an action that will occur in the future.|
|future progressive tense||
||The future progressive tense is used for an on-going action that will occur in the future.|
|future perfect tense||
||The future perfect tense is used to describe an action that will have been completed at some point in the future.|
|future perfect progressive||
||The future perfect progressive tense is used for an on-going action that will be completed at some specified time in the future.|
Diagrams for the Four Future TensesThe infographics below show how each future tense is formed and a quick overview of how each one is used:
Simple Future TenseFor example:
- I will play after breakfast.
Future Progressive TenseFor example:
- I will be playing for an hour.
Future Perfect TenseFor example:
- I will have played by breakfast.
Future Perfect Progressive TenseFor example:
- I will have been playing for 2 hours by breakfast.
A Quick Test
- This test has questions.
- You will score at least 5 points for a correct answer.
- You will score bonus points for answering the questions quickly.
- Be careful though. Wrong answers score 0 points.
- The maximum score is .
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?
See AlsoWhat are verbs? Past tense Present tense Future tense
Tenses Simple past tense Past progressive tense Past perfect tense Past perfect progressive tense Simple present tense Present progressive tense Present perfect tense Present perfect progressive tense Simple future tense Future progressive tense Future perfect tense Future perfect progressive tense Glossary of grammatical terms