Learn 1000s of English words with our vocabulary builder.
What Is Hyperbole? (with Examples)Hyperbole is exaggeration or extravagant statement used for effect.
With hyperbole, the literal meaning is not the intended meaning. Hyperbole is deliberate exaggeration, which is often witty and usually for emphasis.
Hyperbole Is a Form of Figurative LanguageHyperbole is classified as figurative language, which is the use of words in an unusual or imaginative manner.
Figurative language includes the use of metaphors, similes, personification, idiom, euphemisms, and pun.
Examples of HyperboleHere are some examples of hyperbole:
- I have been there millions of times and have never seen one.
- Your auntie will have a fit when she sees that.
- The best lager in the world
- I could eat a scabby donkey.
- I lost a ton of money in Vegas.
A Quick Test
- This test has questions.
- You will score at least 5 points for a correct answer.
- You will score bonus points for answering the questions quickly.
- Be careful though. Wrong answers score 0 points.
- The maximum score is .
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?