Learn 1000s of English words with our vocabulary builder.
What Is Personification? (with Examples)Personification is ascribing a human trait or ability to a concept or a non-human object.
Personification is an example of figure language, which is the use of words in an unusual or imaginative manner. Personification can be considered a metaphor, which asserts that one thing is something that it literally is not.
Examples of PersonificationHere are some examples of personification:
- The trees whispered in the wind.
- The flowers danced in the grass.
- The sun kissed the ocean.
- I could hear the hamburger calling my name.
You Can Use Speech Marks with PersonificationYou can use speech marks to show your readers that a word is not being used in its true sense. Speech marks are therefore acceptable with personification. For example:
- These waves "know" when you're not holding on.