Learn 1000s of English words with our vocabulary builder.
What Are Reflexive Pronouns? (with Examples)The reflexive pronouns are myself, yourself, herself, himself, itself, ourselves, yourselves, and themselves.
These words can be either reflexive pronouns or emphatic pronouns.
This page is about their use as reflexive pronouns.
A reflexive pronoun is used with another noun (or pronoun) when something does something to itself. For example:
- John pinched himself. (The reflexive pronoun himself tells us that John did something to John.)
- John pinched his sister. (There is no reflexive pronoun in this example.)
Examples of Reflexive PronounsBelow are some examples of reflexive pronouns. Using a reflexive pronoun means you do not have to repeat the subject (shown here in bold). (Repeating the subject would be clumsy.)
- Alison still does not trust herself. (Alison does not trust Alison.)
- The members argued amongst themselves for an hour. (The members argued amongst the members.)
- We often ask ourselves why we left London. (We often ask us.)
Identifying Reflexive PronounsIn most sentences, somebody does something to someone else. For example:
- I like him.
- He spoke to her.
- She thumped him.
- The dog bit her.
Some Real Examples of Reflexive PronounsHere are some real examples of reflexive pronouns:
- I often quote myself. It adds spice to my conversation.
- We forfeit three-fourths of ourselves in order to be like other people. (Arthur Schopenhauer, 1788-1860)
- If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done. (Peter Ustinov, 1921-2004)
- If history repeats itself, and the unexpected always happens, how incapable must man be of learning from experience. (George Bernard Shaw, 1856-1950)
- The ability to delude yourself may be an important survival tool. (Jane Wagner)
- The ability of you to delude yourself may be an important survival tool. (Jane Wagner)
A Quick Test
- This test has questions.
- You will score at least 5 points for a correct answer.
- You will score bonus points for answering the questions quickly.
- Be careful though. Wrong answers score 0 points.
- The maximum score is .
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?