Learn 1000s of English words with our vocabulary builder.
What Is Verb Tense? (with Examples)The tense of a verb is determined by when the action took place. The three tenses are:
Examples of TensesHere are some examples of verbs in different tenses:
- I walked to work. (The verb walked is in the past tense.)
- I walk to work. (The verb walk is in the present tense.)
- I will walk to work. (The verb will walk is in the future tense.)
- I was happy. (The verb was is in the past tense.)
- I am happy. (The verb am is in the present tense.)
- I will be happy. (The verb will be is in the future tense.)
Examples of Verbs in Different TensesHere are some more examples of verbs in the past, present, and future tenses:
- The hardest that I have laughed at a movie was probably Team America. I laughed 'til I thought I was going to throw up. (Ron White) (The shaded verbs are in the past tense.)
- You laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at you because you are all the same. (Jonathan Davis) (The shaded verbs are in the present tense.)
- Nobody will laugh long who deals much with opium; even its pleasures are of a grave and solemn complexion. (Thomas de Quincey) (The shaded verbs are in the future tense.)
- Past Tense: laughed, was/were laughing, had laughed, had been laughing
- Present Tense: laugh, am/is/are laughing, has/have laughed, has/have been laughing
- Future Tense: will laugh, will be laughing, will have laughed, will have been laughing
The Full List of TensesThe table below shows the full list of the tenses:
|The 4 Past Tenses||Example|
|simple past tense||I went|
|past progressive tense||I was going|
|past perfect tense||I had gone|
|past perfect progressive tense||I had been going|
|The 4 Present Tenses||Example|
|simple present tense||I go|
|present progressive tense||I am going|
|present perfect tense||I have gone|
|present perfect progressive tense||I have been going|
|The 4 Future Tenses||Example|
|simple future tense||I will go|
|future progressive tense||I will be going|
|future perfect tense||I will have gone|
|future perfect progressive tense||I will have been going|
A Quick Test
- This test has questions.
- You will score at least 5 points for a correct answer.
- You will score bonus points for answering the questions quickly.
- Be careful though. Wrong answers score 0 points.
- The maximum score is .
- Do you disagree with something on this page?
- Did you spot a typo?